Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 3, The Arrival!

Going from Nairobi to Lilongwe


Saturday morning we got to Nairobi (right now after writing all this is the first time I'm realizing just how long the travel was. To leave on Thursday and get there on Saturday?!). When I walked off the plane and into the airport, I knew that I was now somewhere different. The airport is set up like a horseshoe, with lots of people and not very much space. Everything concrete, metal, and glass. It was also super hot, and super smelly (you know, lots of non deodorant-wearing Kenyans). There were a couple fun shops, and a coffee house where I got a wonderful chocolate milk!

Derrick at Java House, which provided the ice-cold chocolate milk


I spent a few minutes charging up my amazing new phone so I could check my e-mail and be able to say that I called my mom from Kenya. (Seriously, though, this phone is so cool! It comes with plugs for everywhere in the world! And if you know me, you know that I do not like to get new technology- phones, computers, etc. Once I know how to work something, I like to keep it around. I'd had my old phone for 3 1/2 years. That's commitment. But the Storm has won my heart. Peace out, Razr!)

Neal found a spot to rest while I was charging


Now that I've spent an entire paragraph talking about my cell phone (who am I?!)...

We were only in the airport maybe 2 hours or so. When we went to the gate, we went through security and I hadn't thought to empty out my water bottle. For some reason, I was totally boggled, no clue what to do about the predicament, since she definitely wasn't letting me through with it (which, knowing what I now know about Africa, I'm really surprised by). I wasn't trashing my perfectly good, pink, water bottle. Fortunately my genius friend Charlie was behind me and grabbed it and chugged 32 oz. of water in a single gulp. Wonder what he was up to in college... ;)

After you go through security in Nairobi, they put you into this glass room to wait with everyone else who's getting in your plane. It is hot in the glass room. And stinky. And when there's something wrong with your plane, you're there a long time. All these combined started to make me anxious. I got a little teary. Then they announced that since there was something wrong with the plane, we needed to go down to the runway and take a bus to another plane. And since we were already late, the seating plan was out the window and it was every man for himself. AHHHH!!!

Cue the waterfall! Everyone started running for the door and squeezing out. I was paralyzed, crying, and was going to stand there until everyone else was out. I do NOT do big running crowds. Jessie and Katie S., however, had different plans. Each grabbed one of my hands, and the next thing I knew, I was running. As soon as we got outside, I saw that there was a storm coming, and it was actually pretty chilly out. The coolness definitely calmed me down, and we made it on a bus and on a plane, albeit in the very last row. I met a super sweet Kenyan flight attendant (wish I could remember her name...) who told me I was ok, and brought me a huge jug of water that she insisted I drink.

The storm's a-brewin'


The throng of people


This is why we were in the last row


Ok. So. Here it is. The last 2 hours before I see Stephen!!! (And judging from all of you that I've gotten to talk to so far and questioning e-mails I've received, this is all you're interested in hearing about. So let the anticipation end.)

I wasn't too nervous, but totally, out of my mind, excited! Katie S. tried to get to do crossword puzzles with her b/c I was pretty much jumping in my seat. Didn't really work, but a valiant effort from a sweet friend.

SO excited!


When we landed in Lilongwe, we walked across the runway to the airport, and since we were in the very last row on the plane, we were the very last off the plane, and the very last through customs. I had wanted to get through fast b/c I knew Stephen was waiting somewhere close, and I didn't want him to be nervous waiting. Didn't go according to plan, though.

We had just discussed not taking pictures in the airport, but Heather made sure we were properly documented. She took the heat from the customs, guy, too. He wasn't happy.


Took a while for the guys to gather up all our luggage and get us through the lines. There was a policeman who checked the first 2 peoples' bags, but got lazy and gave up after that. At some point, I went around the corner and saw a yellow shirt and I knew it was Stephen!!!! I saw his face and right away I remembered everything about him, mostly how safe I know I am with him (but also how cute he is!). He was a little way away greeting someone, but then he saw me and we closed the gap and hugged for a minute. We were both a little emotional (come on, it had been 9 months since we'd seen each other!), but nothing out of control. Totally surprising coming from me, right?! It's weird, but he makes me really calm.

Then we loaded all our junk on a bus full of Malawians and curious Americans and headed to the Children of the Nations headquarters, where we'd be staying.

My nosy and enterprising friend Jessie (ok, she has a right to be nosy, she's walked through every part of this rough year with me) found the opportunity to sneak a pic of Stephen and I on the bus. He was giving me a crash course on Malawian scenery and daily life. A lot of things I'd heard about I was now getting to see!!!


Here are some things we saw on the 20-30 minute bus ride from the airport to COTN






Whew, that took me forever to write! I'll finish up Day 3 on the next post. Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. You look so happy with that cute boyfriend of yours!! :D

    ReplyDelete